Malaysian Entrepreneur Convention (MEC) 2016 @ Connexion Nexus Bangsar South Experience

12:30 pm 0 Comments A+ a-

Today is kinda special day because I will have the opportunity to listen to people who are successful in the business field to share about their entrepreneur journey. The event is Malaysian Entrepreneur Convention (MEC) 2016 at Connexion Nexus Bangsar South.

It is a sharing by highly successful entrepreneurs where you might have the collaboration opportunities with business owners, potential investors and emerging entrepreneurs. I just quickly print out the ticket as I'm not sure whether can scan through Eventbrite via mobile.
After having a pack of vegetarian noodles, I drove all the way from Klang to Bangsar South Kuala Lumpur using Waze. The MEC provides a platform for like-minded intellects to gather/exchange ideas/knowledge and valuable insights of their respective industries while building networks with a lot of entrepreneur from different background. The topic and speaker includes the following list.
____________________________________________
1) Falling in Love with Change and Uncertainties - Freda Liu (BFM) / Chris Tan (Chur Assosiates)
2) Digital Marketing, Stamping Your Digital Mark - Fione Tan (eOneNet) / Joanne Ho (Happy Bunch) / Markus Bihler (Happy Fresh), Tan Jian Yong (Page Advisor) and Vince Tan (Shock Media Studio)
3) Mentorship, The Art of Nurturing - Dato’ Michael Tio (PKT Logistics Group) / Dato' Billy Goh (One Auto Group) /  Dato' CC Ngei (Feruni Ceramiche)
4) How to Close Sales Fast - Jeevan Sahadevan (Leveragelab)
5) Growing Sales in Challenging Times - Daniel Ho (IQI Group) / Dr Fauziah Yunus (Drfauiah Dot com) / KK Chua (Armani Media) / Teoh Wee Kiat (MyBurgerLab)
6) F&B & Retail, The Survivor' Story - Anabelle Co-Martinent (La Juiceria) / Benjamin Yong (The Big Group) / Hui Matthews (Ash-Be Nimble) / Sherlyn Tan (Twenty3)
7) The Entrepreneur / Start Up Journey - Joel Neoh (KFit)
8) Where & How to Get Funding - Elain Locakman (ATA Plus) / Kenny Hew (Food Advisor) / Sam Shafie (pitchIN) / Victor Chua (Gobi Partner)
____________________________________________

Upon arrival, the Nexus Bangsar South car park seems to be full and luckily the guard ask me to park behind which is free of charge. As I arrived at the 3A floor, I saw many people around and quickly went to register myself as the below counter.
Then I just quickly walk inside the hall with a guidance of a beautiful staff.
The first speaker is Ms Freda Liu and Mr Chris Tan sharing about Change and Uncertainties.
I don't know Ms Freda Liu in real life but I often listen to BFM while I heard Mr Chris Tan sharing last year 2015. Somehow I guess the time past very fast as I didn't really catch with up their sharing in detail but have taken some picture below.
I guess it's all about how you bring/carry up yourself in order to maximize your potential of making $$$$$$$$$$$ in the end.

As for the next session about digital marketing from 5 speaker, personally I felt that everyone have their own way of doing their online marketing.
Google and Facebook marketing still remain the top of the channel that is preferred by advertiser. As for Instagram, I feel it is just like billboard branding concept as you can't really track the conversion well even with those analytical tools from FB power editor section. As for those "advisory thingy", I just felt that they have chose a good name to associate with TripAdvisor in someway and might able to sell off their company one day once they're successful marketing it. No doubt that the cost to acquire a customer/user online is still cheaper than offline marketing if you're a pure online company.

Anyways, I just get a cup of Butterscotch Milk Tea for RM8+ at Chatime Nexus Bangsar South branch.
The taste is kinda nice but a bit too sweet as I didn't mention to reduce the sugar. The next session is the art of nurturing which related to mentorship sharing by Dato' Michael Tio, Dato' Billy Goh and Dato' CC Ngei.
I just know the first two Dato from social media and just got to know their background today by reading the leaflets we got from the recycle bag.

I guess Dato's Michael Tio really point out a few important point as below.
a) Give first before you take.
b) Meet up with mentor with already successful in their respective field.
c) Mentor is just a guidance and please respect their time.
However, it is kinda hard to practice "thou shall not jealous of other people success" because I felt that the main people change is due to jealously. On the other hand, Dato's Michael Tio also point out an important point of finding people who is more successful than you to become your mentor. He shared that a people who earn RM1 million should find people who are earning RM10 million to be their mentor, RM10 million find RM100 million person and so on.

This somehow can relate to the "Do You Have Millionaire Mindset Or Millionaire Friends In Malaysia?" quotes that say's:
i) If you hang around five confident people, you will be the sixth.
ii) If you hang around five intelligent people, you will be the sixth.
iii) If you hang around five millionaires, you will be the sixth.
iv) If you hang around five idiots, you will be the sixth.
v) If you hang around five broke people, you will be the sixth.
Hence, it might be true that the secret to become successful is to find mentor/people who are more successful than you as if you're earning RM3,000 now, find people who earn RM6,000+ or more to guide you.

Upon back to the event, I manage to listen to the survivor story session by another 4 speaker at the last seat.
I just felt that the La Juiceria is targeting a higher income customer as I am not really willing to pay RM11 for a healthy juice since I'm in the low income earner as I had tried their cold pressed juice at their Nu Sentral branch back in 2015. However, her sharing is kinda good in term of finding what problem do you solve and the secret to obtain good lesson is to learn from people who have face failure and found a solution for it.
As for Sherlyn Tan from Twenty3 sharing, I just remember the first time I saw her is during Young Entrepreneur's Conference 2015.

Finally the long waited session has come where Mr Joel Neoh from Groupon Malaysia (previously) and he shared his entrepreneur journey in a story mode with a "Steve job outfit" in someway.
From his sharing, I guess he really know what he want to do since 20 year old as he telling his life story from young as he grown older. The summary from his sharing is you just need to compare with yourself to be better than the person of you yesterday. During the last session of How to Get Funding, I didn't listen since I have something to rush on.
Overall it is a great experience from MEC 2016 event and over 3000+ people attending as it has been awarded as Malaysia Largest Entrepreneur Convention in The Malaysia Book of Records.

Before I end my blog post, feel free to watch Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Address Youtube video as below.
I really like his quotes about "You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something - your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life". Therefore I think the role of a mentor or entrepreneur is to inspire people. Stay positive.
=)